Jan 6, 2011

Happy New Year's!

This year my Christmas and New Year’s were definitely more ‘holiday-like’. Like previous holidays back home, I spent too much, drank too much and ate too much! To be honest I’ve been completely spoiled these past few weeks, indulging myself quite happily and guilt-free in the “good life.”

Still arrogant with the success of our first brunch, Charley and I held another party at our house, inviting our neighbors and friends. Now that my culinary skills are at their finest (or so I thought) I cooked up “riz gras” (rice cooked in a tomato-like sauce), beef kabobs and teriyaki chicken with brownies for dessert. Unfortunately, the kabobs and chicken were tough and overcooked. The rice was absolutely delicious but the truth is that a Burkinabe friend came to help and ended up cooking the entire dish herself…a blessing actually. Charley and I were pleasantly surprised with some beautiful locally made gifts by our very good friend and neighbor Madina.

As a Christmas present to ourselves, Charley and I now have a fridge in the house. It’s sad how ridiculously happy we are about this. I realized though, that I haven’t had a fridge in my house since June 2008, and considering I am the Queen of Food (or rather, Queen of EATING), that is saying something! I have reminisced about what having a fridge means to me: 1) I don’t have to buy veggies/ingredients the day I plan to use them 2) Cold drinks await me just outside my door 3) I can no longer use the excuse “I guess I HAVE to eat this entire cauldron of mac and cheese since it will go bad by tomorrow”




In addition to my new eating habits, some ex-pat friends left to travel over the holidays. I was asked to feed their cat while they were gone. Having this tiny crazy cat attack my feet and claw up my legs was totally worth it: not only is their house beautiful but I was able to swim and lounge by their wonderful pool!
So as you can see, my holidays were nice: everything from going out to nice restaurants, lounging by a pool, dancing the night away and watching an incredible (even for US standards) New Year’s fireworks display in downtown Ouagadougou.















However, I also realized that this has been the third holiday season that I have spent away from home, away from family and friends. On the phone my mom told me “I’ve been spending the past three holiday seasons with other people’s children…next year I want to spend it with you!” I concur wholeheartedly. And today, posted on the internet where anyone/everyone can see, I promise that next year I will be at home (or Quebec) surrounded by friends and family for the 2011 holidays.

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: