May 28, 2008

My Assignment

I will be working as a Community Education and Development Outreach Agent in the Girls Education and Empowerment Program in Burkina Faso. In short, I will be working as a liaison between schools and communities and creating programs encouraging girls to go to, stay and succeed in school. I'll work with organizations, professionals and families on projects large and small. As most of you would expect, one goal I'm hoping to be able to accomplish is to start a girls' sports team, basketball, if possible.

Schedule
June 7: Fly to Philadelphia for Pre-Service Training
June 10: Leave for Ouagadougou for Training
Sometime in September: Sent to project site

Facts on Burkina Faso
-landlocked country in West Africa
-language: French and local African languages like Moore, Fulfulde, Gourmantchema etc.
-population: 14 million
-rainy season June to October (90+ degrees), dry season November to May (100+ degrees)
-it's one of the ten poorest countries in the world
-86% of population lives on less than $2 a day

-average life expectancy: 47.5 years
-literacy rate: 32%
-50% Islam,
20% Christian, 30% indigenous beliefs

8 comments:

Meighie said...

Comments are officially working! :)
See ya in 4 days! (Woah!!)

Hélène said...

Hi, Sweety Pie!
I think I figured out a way to post comments on your blog. So now your annoying mom is going to barge in! Watch out!
Besos, Mom

lady ocelotl said...

hey there pretty lady! i am soo soo proud of you. not only cause the whole saving the world, one girl at a time, but because you *finally* started a blog! =D anyway, i have added yours to mine, www.wherewatercomestogetherwithotherwater.-
wordpress.com
so drop me a line from time to time. ;) you're not even out of the country and already i miss you! see you tonight.
-mayra

Lisa Sibley said...

wow! this is super high tech! so impressed chica! keep running! i'm going to miss you sooo much. congrats on your awards last night. so excited for you!
Hugs!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi my friend! I am so happy to hear that you are so thoroughly enjoying your experience so far. You are my hero--I wish I had your fearlessness : ) Keep up this blog. I love reading it and you will have a great memento to remember this fabulous experience. You rock!!!! Jacq

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilie,

The "I don't want to grow up" group in Campbell is a year old and celebrated by having a scavenger hunt in Campbell again. I did not go but I could not help but think of you, Cindy and I (as well as our gopher friend) trying to find apricot plaques and cat's names in bookstores. Wow, it sounds like you are a part of a wonderful adventure. I love your Blog. Stay happy. I am sending good thoughts your way.

Liane

Anonymous said...

hey Em!, its your favorite cousin of all times, aaron boykin of course lol. Merry Christmas, im at your dads house right now, he's showing me how great of a person you are. hope all is well in Africa keep up the good work. ill keep in touch.

love ya

Anonymous said...

Hey Emilie,
It's so eciting reading about you! You have made me so proud! You are truly a special person to me.
Love,
Brenda